SETF conference call - 15. October 2014

Jump to: navigation, search

Time: 13:00 UCT

Location: Google Hangout

Agenda

  1. DINA REST API standard (DINA_API_Standard_Discussion_Notes)
    • discussion of first draft
  2. DINA UI Standard - example http://dina-collections.github.io/style.html
  3. roadmap for official adoption
    • Module map – API blueprint for each of the components, to help define tasks for the different teams.
    • Thorough technological evaluation of the modules in Pluto-F, Canadian system, DINA, etc.
  4. presentation at TDWG
  5. name change for SETF to avoid confusion with regard to CETAF
  6. Specify 7 updated beta version: http://54.228.209.187, username: testuser1, password: testuser1
  7. www.dina-project.net web domain issues
  8. any other business ...

Minutes

DINA REST API standard

We went through the draft shared prior to the meeting and focused primarily on those sections that had been commented on in the text. Items covered and comments:

Multi-language support

  • may not be relevant for everybody, but recommendations on this should be provided

Endpoint definitions

  • base URL structure
    • merits of an approach requiring to start with "api" as well as the term "api" in the path to indicate that these are API endpoints were discussed
    • both could be used and harmonised through URL rewrites
    • we may put this to the vote with other items to determine group preferences
  • version indicator
    • it was proposed that following a pattern [BASE_URL]/[VERSION_INDICATOR]/[MODULE_NAME] might suggest that the version applies to all DINA APIs (thus a "DINA version") rather than to the version of the module, which it should refer to
    • the group's preference thus seems to be for a pattern [BASE_URL]/[MODULE_NAME]/[VERSION_INDICATOR]
  • passing parameters
    • main issue discussed was the potential need to pass large parameter sets
    • options like passing JSON objects with a query requiring a POST might break conventions otherwise agreed for the DINA API standard
    • concluded that some research is needed on this issue; Chris will look into this and present a proposal

HTTP response

  • return format
    • standard should demand that one of JSON or XML MUST be supported
    • but that ideally both JSON or XML SHOULD be supported
  • data section
    • the standard should provide a data structure recommendation; Chris will present a proposal
    • the standard should state that the data section content should conform to Darwin Core

Documentation

  • it is agreed that DINA-compliant APIs should provide documentation (mimimum: plain English text)
  • they should also provide endpoint documentation
  • ideally, this should be based on API self-documenting approaches
  • generally, the requirement for documentation might also ensure that documentation and code are kept in sync
  • we will put the issue of self-documentation to the vote

www.dina-project.net web domain issues

  • there is a problem with the current redirect from www.dina-project.net to biowikifarm; Falko and Markus will connect to fix this

Name change for SETF to avoid confusion with regard to CETAF

  • everybody to propose alternative names by Friday; proposals during the meeting (TC - Technical committee, SEG - Systems Engineering Group)
  • the group will vote on this to select a new name

Items moved to next meeting or offline discussion

  • DINA UI Standard - example http://dina-collections.github.io/style.html
  • roadmap for official adoption
    • DINA module map – API blueprint for each of the components, to help define tasks for the different teams.
    • Thorough technological evaluation of the modules in Pluto-F, Canadian system, DINA, etc.
  • presentation at TDWG
  • Specify 7 updated beta version: http://54.228.209.187, username: testuser1, password: testuser1

Action items

  • Chris: present proposals for data structure recommendations and the issue of passing large parameter sets
  • Falko & Markus: connect to fix www.dina-project.net web domain issues
  • Stefan: collect alternative group name proposals and organise a vote (with Falko)

Next meeting

  • we will possibly hold another call Wednesday 22.10.
  • group will meet face-to-face Friday 24.10. in Stockholm prior to TDWG in Jönköping

This page was last modified on 24 October 2014, at 10:00. Content is available under Attribution-Share Alike Non-commercial 2.5 or later, Unported unless otherwise noted.