TC conference call - 18. Nov 2015

Jump to: navigation, search
TC conference call - 18. Nov 2015
Title TC call
Location
Date Start 2015/11/18
Date End 2015/11/18
Tags
Description

Agenda

  1. Wrap up Copenhagen meeting - what to do with Google Drive documents
  2. Presentation on the communication concept (Karin, Falko)
  3. System packaging - (Allan, Markus S)
  4. DINA Redmine
  5. DINA REST API, version 0
  6. Paul Morris' database schema
  7. Database agnostic schema with liquibase - http://www.liquibase.org/ - ( Ingimar)
  8. Next DINA physical meeting Berlin June - Doodle week
  9. ...any other items

Minutes

Present: Karin, Markus S, Ingimar, Kevin, Al, Glen, Thomas, and David

Wrap up Copenhagen meeting

  • Documents generated for DINA sub-projects by task groups, established during the Copenhagen meeting, are available to TC members. The Google Drive folder where these documents currently reside will be used until the groups consider them ready for public consumption and move them to a repository appropriate to the task group material (e.g., the DINA wiki or GitHub). Each task group will manage their working documents and produce final document versions.
  • Karin will compile a short summary of the meeting based on Fredrik's summary to the ISC and circulate a draft to meeting participants before posting it on the wiki.

Presentation on the communication concept

This discussion was postponed to the next TC call. Karin presented comments from email correspondence with Falko.

A web presentation of DINA objectives and activities directed towards potential funding agencies, decision makers, etc. could be accommodated under the same web domain as the wiki (http://dina-project.net) but as an independent system. This presentation is intended to facilitate general inquiries, serve as the primary front end for http://dina-project.net, and would contain a link to the wiki (http://dina-project.net/wiki). The wiki would still be used for documenting internal project communication and presenting detailed information. A good example of the anticipated presentation style is the MfN project website, in German, for StadtNatur ("City Nature") http://stadtnatur.naturkundemuseum-berlin.de.

System packaging

  • Development of system "boxes" or containers was initiated during the meeting, and a summary of the steps involved and the available containers was is available (link sent out on the TC mailing list). Eventually these documents will be made available as text docs. The Stockholm team is exploring the use of Docker (https://www.docker.com) for packaging modules and so far was able to create a minimalist reporting system for learning and tutorial purposes.
  • During the Copenhagen meeting, Markus and Thomas made progress in packaging of the Dina Data Tool (DDT) using Vagrant, but work remains to provide a suitable back-end container to connect the DDT to, something that could be realized using Docker.
  • Initial steps forward during Copenhagen workshop sessions is complemented by current work on Keycloak authentication by the Stockholm group. Keycloak (http://keycloak.jboss.org) can potentially handle external user roles and web clients, and some of the aforementioned issues related to API development will be evaluated during this ongoing work. Markus and Ida will present a demo of Keycloak during the next TC meeting.

DINA Redmine

Karin, Markus and Falko will discuss options for hosting the DINA Redmine, which was established as an post-Copenhagen meeting task. There have been some complications in hosting Redmine on the MfN server, so the preferred option may be to host the new DINA webpage and the wiki at the MfN and Redmine at the NRM.

DINA Rest API

Ida has made substantial progress on the DINA-Specify REST API since the Copenhagen. Based on discussions points concerning DINA API development, it may be useful to distinguish between architectural decisions leading towards public, stable, higher-level (outer) or complex (inner) APIs. Possibly, an additional layer of abstraction would provide a facade that would allow for a more stable and smaller API, which would enable increased development flexibility in being able to make changes in lower layers or finer grade APIs without necessarily having to break external applications, but may also raise other issues or concerns with respect to configuration, especially authentication, required for using DINA APIs.

Paul Morris' database schema

This discussion was postponed until the next TC call when Paul Morris can attend. Clarification is requested to understand the information model, presented as figures during the Copenhagen meeting.

Database agnostic schema with liquibase

Ingimar has been working with Liquibase (http://www.liquibase.org/) to manage development of applications with a wide range of database implementations. He invited TC members to a short tutorial (https://github.com/inkimar/liquibase-example) with questions in the read-me document and welcomes feedback.

Next DINA physical meeting, Berlin

The MfN (Falko) will host the next face-to-face DINA meeting in June 2016 at Berlin. The TC members are asked to respond to the Doodle that will be made available soon in order to establish dates for this meeting.

Additional items

Glen noted that there is an additional plugin for validators related to discussions during the Copenhagen meeting, particularly with Ingimar related to Jenkins. Glen suggested that the TC use Unicorn (https://validator.w3.org/unicorn/) as a W3C HTML/CSS unified validator, adopted as a "good practice" in web development rather than as an optional validation method. See: Jenkins Unicorn validator https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Unicorn+Validation+Plugin. See also: https://validator.w3.org/docs/api.html.

Action Items

  • Thomas will send text to Glen on the referential integrity use case, Glen will create the corresponding UML interaction diagram.
  • Karin will produce a summary of the Copenhagen meeting based on Fredrik's comments to the ISC as well as invite non-attending TC members to the Google drive, where documents from the meeting are available.

Next Meeting

Wednesday, 9. December, 2015 15-17 (13-15 UTC)


This page was last modified on 19 November 2015, at 12:02. Content is available under Attribution-Share Alike Non-commercial 2.5 or later, Unported unless otherwise noted.